Graham John Sanders - Kettering, Tasmania, 03 62674440
I paint with acrylics after 34 years working in the world of visual display. My working life took me overseas for almost 18 years where I was fascinated by the endless variety of techniques, and starting my own business in the late 80’s in Victoria British Columbia. My wife and I decided to come back to my birth country, arriving back in Australia in 1999, Julie convinced me to keep my creativity alive and the brushes were reborn. Tasmania has been our home for 11 years offering a vast wilderness to tap into for subject matter.
I use sharp lines and colours transitioning from the world around us to form of landscape and seascapes. Driven by bright powerful paint and the flow of the natural world, my brush strokes are now free to float across the canvas creating new form with no boundaries. Although my paintings are influenced by my past I am very committed to keeping my own unique style and allow myself the joy of evolving as each painting is created.
1975-1979: Apprentice in sign painting, Australia.
- 1979-2018: Gold leaf, Angel gilding, Graphic design, Sign painting & Silk screening.
- 1980-1984: Senior designer and production manager of Garside Displays, Victoria, British Columbia.
- 1984 - 1986: Senior Designer Mark Write, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 1986-1996: Owner of Victoria Sign and Display, Victoria, British Columbia.
- 1997-1999: Sailing adventure British Columbia to Australia.
- 1999-2001: Northern Sign Queensland.
- 2001-2006: Graphics coordinator and business unit manager Townsville City Council.
- 2006-2007: Desktop Publishing, James Cook University Townsville.
- 2007-2008: Supervisor Eye Spy Signs, Tasmania.
- 2008-2018: Parks and Wildlife sign and production officer, Hobart Tasmania.
- 1994-2018: Painting and Sculpture, working with acrylic on linen, Huon Pine and Glass. Finalist in the 2012 Glover prize, 2012 Tidal Exhibition – Devonport and exhibited in various exhibitions in Tasmania.